Thursday, April 5, 2012

Carbon on the Gravel Grinder

The drive train on the SOMA Doublecross has seen it's better days.  It's gotten me through the past 3 years of Ragnarok, a few Almanzo races and many, many hours of training and commuting.  Considering that original drive train was built up with a smattering of old parts dating as far back as 1993 (cranks), I think that's pretty good.  The straw that broke the camels back was actually the bottom bracket.  It's not good when there's a considerable amount of loose play in your pedal stroke.  Instead of just seeking out another square taper BB I figured it was time to replace the entire drive train.  Thankfully, sweet deals can be had at the Twin Cities Bike Swap and I came home with my first bit of carbon.  Rather funny that it gets put on the bike that gets thrashed the most.  I doubt it'll make me any faster.


Something I should have done the first time I built the frame up.

 Not light by any means, but that 36t should be nice around mile 80 of the Ragnarok.  After Rag it goes on the Pugsley.

Rear wheel needed a little TLC.

All back together.  Still some vintage parts that work perfectly, so those get to stay.


Bonus points if you can tell me what Kerry and I were shopping for when we saw this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment